Monday, May 2, 2011

To Wear a Veil or Not.. Does it really have to be the question?


imgres.jpg          imgres.jpg

I was at the gym a couple nights ago and on one of the t.v.'s there was a story on about two women wearing veils in Italy. A town called Novara has a major that has banned women from wearing a burka (or veil). Many Islamic women wear these and want to wear the veil as a practice of their religion. I do not believe it is fair for Italy to make such a harsh law. Novara's major was said to but the law in lace so that everyone in public could be identified but the law discriminates against these women and their religion they practice. I only caught a little but of the story so I went online to find out more about the story. According to a story released by BBC the town of Novara is said to be "anti- immigration". The story also stated "Several local authorities have introduced tighter regulations, and a Northern League bill currently before parliament would specifically outlaw Islamic face veils". In my opinion this is horrible. Due to being deployed I have met many women who practice wearing the veils. There are many critics of the veils such as they degrade women and show that their husbands are superior to them. I do not pretend to be an expert at all but I do not believe this for the most part. The many women I met while I was deployed enjoyed wearing the veils and did not feel as if it degraded them at all. For Italy to try to take this right away from someone is very frustrating to me. These women deserve to live the way they have chosen just like an other person. I understand the identification point but there has to be a better way to go about it. As for being "anti- immigration", I will not say I agree. The united states is having immigration issues also and in my opinion, if someone immigrates legally then there should be no discrimination towards them. These women are being who they want to be and its very disheartening that Italy is trying to force these women into the "norm" that their major believes is right.


Check out the story by BBC: Unfair in Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment