Monday, May 2, 2011

I can to anything you can do!

So the other weekend I was with my boyfriend and his dad to help them cut down trees and stack wood. We started early in the morning and a few hours later my boyfriend's uncle showed up to help. I had been working all day with my boyfriend and his dad and I kept up pretty well, they allowed me to do whatever they did. When his uncle came it was a different story. Every time I tried to move the log, my boyfriend's uncle would try to take over. I told him politely that I had been doing this all day and I could do the work but he decided I needed help. I tried to work in a different spot but his uncle came over to help me again. When I told him I could manage it he told me that he was surprised I was even out there trying to do "manly" work. I did not say anything to him because I respect my boyfriends family but I was steaming inside. Why is it that if a women tries to do "manly work", she is seen as not being able to do the labor. My boyfriend did not treat me like that nor did his dad so it really bothered me that he did not think I could do the work. I know not all men think like this but it reminds me of the traditional roles we talk about in class, such as males do the manual labor and the females do the inside labor such as cleaning, laundry, dishes etc. etc. I love being outside and doing physical things and I do not see anything wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment