Thursday, March 3, 2011

"Gay Uncle"

My nephew Ben, lives with his mom, his uncle and his grandmother on his mom's side. Recently, my nephew's uncle on his mothers side "came out". He is very involved in my nephew's life, more so than his father (my twin brother). My brother does not see his son very much but is very concerned about having a "gay guy" influence his son. He does not want his son growing up thinking that being "gay" is acceptable. This is a huge problem to my brother but I do not understand what the problem is. My nephew's uncle is a very good person and Ben loves him. Why are so many people discriminate against gays and lesbians? Just because someone likes a person of the same sex does not mean they are any less of a person. Someones sexual identity should not affect the way a person is perceived but unfortunately that seems to be the case. If Ben's uncle never "came out", my brother would have no problem with him helping with Ben but why should his uncle have to hide how he feels? He shouldn't! Just because most of society "believes" homosexuals are in the wrong, it does not mean its right. There are lots of homosexual couples that can not adopt because of what society perceives them as. There are a lot of same sex couples that would be great parents if just given the chance. I do not believe that kids raised by same sex couples will grow up to be a homosexual but if they chose that sexual identity then that is their right. Heterosexual couples are proud of their sexual identity and so should bisexuals, lesbians, gays, transgender and anyone else. Part of the problem is that people do not put their self in the position of someone who has to live with the discrimination. How would you feel if you had to hide how you truly felt because "society" has deemed that act as intolerable? People should be aware that this discrimination should not be allowed and is hurting so many people. Everyone has a right to be treated equally no matter what sexual identity they adhere to. Ultimately, I told my brother I did not agree with him but he is not changing his mind. Until people take time to understand these different sexual identities, I do not think "society" will change their opinion on the subject. Which is very upsetting to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment